MorrisAveNo37P4130048

37 Morris Avenue
Original owner: Mrs. Osee Fitzgerald
Erected: 1877
Mrs. Fitzgerald and her son, the Rev. Fitzgerald, had this cottage built. The Rev. Fitzgerald was later made a bishop of the Methodist Church and also served as president of the Camp Meeting Association of Ocean Grove from 1897 until his death in 1908. Mrs. Fitzgerald was a very active leader in the church’s Holiness Movement. Her Holiness meetings were held in the lower level of her home until her death in 1907. A plaque in the Tabernacle honors her contribution to the religious life of early Mount Tabor. Note the balcony on the park side of the house. Tradition has it that Bishop Fitzgerald preached to listeners in the park from this spot (this seems unlikely). Note the sawn wood ornament in the gable ends.