32-34 Trinity Place
J. Smith Richardson of Jersey City,
Dr. J.W. Cosad of Jersey City,
Rev. Alexander Craig of Westfield Built: 1873
Mr. Richardson, Rev. Craig, and Dr. Cosad joined resources to make the most of three adjacent lots on Trinity Park. When the treble cottage was completed Dr. Cosad occupied the upper residence (left half of No. 34), and the center unit was purchased by Rev. Craig, Presiding Elder of the Jersey City District of the Methodist Church. The right-most residence was owned by J. Smith Richardson. The middle and upper cottages were converted to a single residence in the 1950s. No. 32 Trinity Park remained in the same family until 2007 when Evelyn Clark, a descendant of J. Smith Richardson, bequeathed it to the Mount Tabor Historical Society to be used as a house museum.
“Architecturally this treble cottage is one of the prettiest buildings on the grounds, and its very appearance denotes taste and refinement. It is ornamented by a French roof, bay windows, and plate glass door[s], and is in every essential a beautiful place of residence.” (1877) Note the large plate glass windows across the front of the building-an unusually striking feature for its time. The house has second story balconies on the front and had decorative vergeboards under the eaves. Note the distinctive Second Empire mansard roof with a pattern worked in multi-colored slate. At the back of the structure, from Wesley Place, can be seen original detailing in brackets, post supports, and second-floor porch.