Architect: John Post of Paterson
Builder: C. White of Paterson
A true Camp Meeting style structure, reminiscent of a large meeting tent, the Tabernacle is an elongated octagon with corresponding cupola and hip roof. The Preacher’s Stand originally projected from the park side of the building where there were four sets of double doors. Note the board and batten siding, the large triple hung sash with 6-paned windows, and the large double 4-panel doors with 12 pane transoms. The lower level of the building was designed for four commercial spaces, and in the summer of 1885 was occupied by the post office, a barbershop, a fancy goods bazaar, and a drug store. The interior space was meant to accommodate up to 1200 persons for services and entertainments. The interior was originally lit by gas fixtures with large glass globes.