Strowbridge Ave at Hedding Place

Hedding Place once marked the upper boundary of the campground running from East to West. “…it is by reason of its elevation and delightful air, a very desirable place of residence.”

Standing at the intersection and looking towards Hedding Place puts you at the scene described in the newspaper in August of 1877: “Five cottages, occupying separate lots, are the principal feature of this avenue. They are all built alike, with attractive porches, balconies, and other architectural features, and are painted alike… The cottages are occupied by Frank Wilkinson, of Newark, Hon. J. Carscallen, of Jersey City, G. Von Zschaschen and Mrs. Stackpole of Elizabeth, and S. B. Ransom of Jersey City.” 

Like many streets in Tabor, these have been named to honor founders of the Methodist Church. Elijah Hedding was a pioneer circuit preacher, ordained by Bishop Francis Asbury as a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Rev. Robert Strowbridge was a pioneer Methodist preacher, the second Methodist to come to this country, sent to America by Rev. John Wesley. It is fitting that at what was once the outer boundaries, or the “final frontier” of the campground, we find the streets to be named after early Methodist pioneers. It was noted in the newspaper that “the ladies can walk safely to the Tabernacle from the wilds of West Hedding.”

Turn towards Morris Avenue for the perspective of this street scene. A band is being led up Strowbridge Avenue for a Children’s Day parade. Bystanders view the passing parade along this same route used today. This photo provides a glimpse of these same cottages before they were altered to accommodate year-round residences.
Another view of the same location with no less than five maypoles and decorated bicycles following the band on parade.
Turn to face East Hedding Place. Look beyond the Barrett family and across Strowbridge Avenue to see the streetscape in this image.  
The house at 6 Strowbridge began as two cottages facing West Hedding Place constructed in 1875 by builder S.M. Mattox of Rockaway. Two came to be owned by Mr. Frank Wilkinson of Newark, a Trustee of the Camp Meeting Association. This was the Barrett family summer home from 1886 to 1932 and remained in the family until 1952.
In 1888, the Barretts joined the two cottages together to take the form seen here. 
The house featured a wraparound lower porch and an upper porch facing Hedding Place. The gables feature decorative brackets and millwork, and the porch boasts fanciful iron cresting.
Mr. Barrett served as president of the Mount Tabor Free Library Association for 21 years. It was said, “Brother Barrett was not only a lover of good books, but always alert to the charms of nature as attested by the large collection of wildflowers gathered about him.” In this image, the house and garden are decorated with flags and lanterns for Children’s Day festivities.
Take a short walk towards Sommerfield Avenue to gain the perspective found in this postcard of Strowbridge Avenue looking towards Hedding Place.
Two views of the house at 23 Sommerfield, on the corner of Strowbridge Avenue and Sommerfield Avenue. This cottage features two upper balconies, a wraparound porch, and decorative shingles.