Built in 1877 and expanded several times, The Arlington was a prominent fixture on the grounds boasting fanciful gingerbread, extensive parlors, dining rooms, verandas, and sleeping apartments.
The hotel started as the “Mount Tabor House,” built in twenty days by Mr. S. M. Mattox, of Rockaway. It was opened on August 1, 1877 “…The building is seventy feet long by thirty-five feet front and the first floor is provided with tables and chairs sufficient to allow 200 persons to eat at one time. The upper story is provided with cozy, well-furnished sleeping apartments for the accommodation of about forty persons.” It was financed by David Campbell who was reimbursed in time by the Camp Meeting Association.
The hotel served as a gathering space for guests, as well as a restaurant for those who could afford it. Visiting ministers often stayed at the hotel. An Arlington Hotel advertisement in the Mt. Tabor Record, dated August 20, 1892, offered reduced rates for September, boasting that “the Hotel is located, according to the report of scientific statisticians, on the most healthful mountainous range in the United States, and cured by the invigorating and Health Restoring Qualities of the Air and Water.”