Mount Tabor Library
Ebenezer prayer pavilion occupied a central position on the East side of Trinity Park. Built in 1873 as an octagonal open pavilion, it was enclosed in 1901 to serve as the Mount Tabor Free Library.
The Mount Tabor Library started as a private lending library created by Dr. Henry Coit at his drugstore under the Tabernacle. In 1889 Dr. Coit donated the books of his library to found the Mount Tabor Free Public Library which would be housed in the pavilion with the condition that the books would be used for the benefit of Mount Tabor.
The flat roof portico supported by four Tuscan columns dates to the enclosure of the building in 1901 to better serve its purpose as a library. Over the next 50 years, the library expanded, growing from the original donation of a few hundred books to over 5,500 books.
As reported in the Mt. Tabor Daily Record in 1877: “Those who are fortunate enough to own lots upon this park have one advantage of location not possessed by any others, in that they can sit upon their balconies and listen to the services held at the Tabernacle and in the pavilions. On account of the choice location, it is but natural that there should be here many very pretty cottages, and such is really the case.”
Downhill from the Library, at 27 Trinity Place is the cottage built for Rev. C. S. Coit, a pediatrician from Jersey City. Rev. Coit was “one of the projectors and most earnest workers for the success of Mt. Tabor.” His cottage was described as “large and well-arranged and presents a fine appearance architecturally.” The donation of books from his private lending library formed the foundation of the Mount Tabor Library.
The architectural elements of this cottage exemplify the standard form of a camp meeting cottage. It is a narrow, two-story, gable fronted with double doors flanked by windows on each side, and second-floor double-doors opening onto a balcony. The gable, façade, and railing feature decoratively cut gingerbread. Still recognizable is the hanging pendant and gable trim in the peak, as well as the decorative door hood.