Morris Ave at Wesley Place
With the proximity of Trinity Park, Morris Avenue was originally intended to be the main street as one of the longest and broadest thoroughfares in Mount Tabor.
Like many streets in Mount Tabor named to honor prominent Methodist leaders, Morris Avenue was named for an American bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Thomas Asbury Morris, who distinguished himself as a Methodist Circuit rider, Pastor and Presiding Elder. Wesley Place was named for John Wesley, an English theologian and evangelist who is recognized as the founder of Methodism.
In 1882, the Mt. Tabor Daily Record reported, “It is in one of the most desirable locations, being just about centrally located among the improvements of the grounds… This building was the first cottage on Tabor finished in lath and plaster or ‘hard finish.’ It has a cellar beneath the whole, two two-story bay windows give added light, room and the beauty of curved lines, water on both floors, and of course the modern improvements.” Carefully note the porch in the image above. When the front porch was widened, high priority was given to the trees that occupied the space. The builder carefully circumscribed the roof around the trees.